Here is a start for an accessibility policy for WASFF. Please add, take, comment, talk etc.
This is only a bare-bones start. If you think it’s terrible and want to write a completely different policy, feel to do so in comments. This is just a jumping off point.
Also, the SF Wiki has started having this conversation too. You can add to it here: http://wiki.sf.org.au/Accessibility
The following policy will relate to WASFF and all conventions that are run as a subsidiary of WASFF:
Every attempt will be made to ensure that websites are accessible to all members of the community. To ensure this:
- Websites will be easily used with read-over text and screen readers
- All images will have alternative text description
- Hyperlinks will open in the same browser (unless the specific browser forbids it from the user side)
- Websites will be accessible from a variety of different browsers and readers
To maximize accessibility in the convention venue the following will be used in as part of the selection criteria for the venue:
- provision of seats in an area central to the convention area and near the panel rooms
- wheelchair and mobility vehicle access throughout convention space
- availability of foods for the various diets of our members
- AV facilities to support panelists being heard
Where the hotel selected could not meet all of the above the con committee will be notifying members of the limitations and providing alternatives where practical, eg listing eating locations with dietary options that are catered for & providing AV independent of the hotel.
In addition to the above panel rooms will be set up with priority seating at the front and rear with aisles large enough for wheel chairs and mobility vehicles.
Other Accessibility Areas:
- Programs will be made available in large print format
- Maps will be provided detailing the venue layout, accessible entrances, lifts, ect., as well as the surrounding areas (location of food outlets etc.)
- Hotel information will be available on the convention website and on request
That’s all I have so far. What do you all think? Please add, take, edit, whatever.